Saturday, March 28, 2009

Elyse's Story

by Elyse Aussenberg Atlanta, Georgia http://www.lunggone.blogspot.com My story is not a pleasant one. It is thankfully ongoing but I have suffered greatly from not only the lack of early detection of the disease but a conspicuous lack of knowledge about lung cancer. I was enjoying a lifestyle that was full of vitality. I exercised vigorously, regularly and participated in a broad spectrum of activities. I was thoroughly engaged in a profession that was stimulating, productive and rewarding. I had, and have loving family and friends, and I had a vacation travel schedule that was the envy of many. My diet was full of fresh fruits, vegetables and high quality protein. I was certain that my healthy eating habits and exercise regimen more than offset my indulgence in martinis and dark chocolate. Around December 2007, I developed a persistent cough. Consults with several internists resulted in a referral to an allergist and the recommendation to drink Robitussen three times a day. Even after demanding a chest X-ray, I was diagnosed with pneumonia. Desperate for relief, I finally joined the MDVIP network, and on May 27, 2008 I was diagnosed with non small cell lung cancer. I have endured radiation, chemotherapy, the removal of a lung, targeted therapy, traveled to a major cancer center for help and have still not been “cured.” I have and continue to spend many hours educating myself on this disease and treatment options. I enjoy bits and pieces of life in between doctor visits, rehab and resting, but I am primarily consumed with the act of staying alive. But I am also filled with hope. With immense gratitude to The Joan Gaeta Lung Cancer Foundation, and all the physicians, researchers, and various medical personnel who have helped me and others, and with the love and support of my family and friends, I intend not only to survive, but thrive. And help the fight against this awful disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment